Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the objective of the Go Green initiative?
The Go Green initiative is part of Bank Negara Malaysia’s ongoing effort to promote sustainability and conservation of our environment and resources for the benefit of the future generation.
2. How will this initiative help the environment?
The use of quality fit banknotes, which are as good as new, versus new banknotes will reduce the unnecessary usage of the country’s natural resources.
3. How do the fit banknotes differ from new banknotes?
Fit banknotes are good-quality banknotes that are virtually indistinguishable from new banknotes. Bank Negara Malaysia only recycles high quality banknotes that are fit to be used for ‘Ang Pow’ during the Chinese New Year period.
4. Where can I exchange fit banknotes for Chinese New Year?
Members of the public can exchange fit banknotes for Chinese New Year at any financial institution branch throughout the country.
5. Which countries have adopted this initiative?
Many countries have adopted a similar Go Green initiative for sustainability, in particular Hong Kong (since 2006) and Singapore (since 2013).